Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What do you do for the world?


I had a really neat experience today.

I was at the tennis club after playing a match with my dad and a few others (excellent game today guys!), and I ran into someone I hadn't met before. We exchanged the usual polite 'good mornings' and 'how ya doings' when I asked him how his morning was going. He said "Great!" When I asked why he told me that he had been out for a walk with his dog, at his usual place, a local park / conservation area, and the city had added recycling bins, changed all of the garbage cans and picked up all the garbage. He was pretty excited about it too! It turns out that every day for the past 12 years or so, when he goes for his morning walk he makes it a point to pick up any garbage or recycling he finds.

I told him that was incredible. Imagine, every day, for 12 years, he's been walking his dog and cleaning as he goes. How much has he picked up over all those years? And when he was telling me about it he was so genuinely excited about it!

Now imaging that each of us did something small like that every day. Over the years, it adds up. Small actions each day making a huge difference over time.

I encourage everyone to try, however small, to do one thing every day that makes our world a little better. I know I'm going to.

No comments: